Clean and renewable energy is key to development.
MARIA CRISTINA HYDROELECTRIC PLANT
Undaunted by the seeming indifference of the multilateral agency, the administration of President Quirino, who succeeded President Roxas in 1948, pursued the Maria Cristina projects through domestic financing.
In 1949, the Central Bank (which was founded in the same year with Miguel Cuaderno, Sr. as first governor) released to NPC the amount of P16 million. The loan would finance the first of the five generating units of Maria Cristina power plant and the first of the two units of the ammonium sulfate fertilizer plant.
Actual construction began in August 1950. President Quirino accompanied by his daughter and some cabinet officials visited Iligan in December 1951 to unveil a marker of the Maria Cristina Falls development project. This manifested the importance his administration attached to the projects.
AMBUKLAO POWER PROJECT.
Construction of the project began in July 1950 when President Elpidio R. Quirino was at the helm of the Philippine government.
Upon the direction of Philippine President Manuel A. Roxas, the National Power Corporation, in cooperation with Westinghouse International, took a survey of the country’s hydroelectric potential and prepared the Philippine Power Program in 1948. It’s major undertaking was the Ambuklao Power Project.